BEST Homemade Honey Whole Wheat and Oatmeal Bread

My older daughter has been  begging me ever since I made the Pear/Apple Butter if I will make my Homemade Oatmeal Bread to go with it.  This recipe is one of my favorites.  It is moist and textured.  Just the smell of this cooking in my oven makes my mouth water.  You will NOT be disappointed!


best homemade bread - oatmeal wheat

I will write out the recipe and give you pictures at the end. 

Homemade Oatmeal Bread
by Gina Hardy

2 Tbsp dry yeast
1/2c warm water
Sprinkle of sugar
1/2c honey
1 cube butter  (½ cup)
4 tsp salt
1/2c brown sugar
4 c oats (either kind)
2 c boiling water
2 c cold water
3 c whole wheat flour
6 c white flour

  In a separate bowl, put yeast, warm water, and a sprinkle of sugar; set aside.  In mixing bowl, place honey, butter, salt brown sugar. oats, and boiling water.  Mix until butter is melted.  Add cold water.  Add whole wheat flour and yeast now.  Let mix for 10 min in mixer.  Add white flour gradually, approximately 6 cups to clean sides of mixer.  Flour surface of counter and give it a few good kneads.  It will make about 3 large loafs.  Grease pans, put dough into pans and let raise for 1 1/2 hours.  Bake at 400 for just 5 minutes.  Turn down oven to 350 and bake another 25 minutes.


Wait for yeast solution to get all bubbly, that's when you know it is ready.


I am thankful for my kitchen aid but I think I got the smaller version!  The flour is always flying out of the bowl by the 6th scoop of flour! (pictures is "as is", no clean up before the shot!)  I use the regular mixing paddle - not the dough hook.


Hire helpers to help with the kneading.   (-:  Actually, you only need to turn and knead a few times, just to get a smooth ball for putting in the pan. 


best homemade oatmeal wheat bread rising in baking stone

Cover and let rise!  (anywhere between 1-2 hours, you can check and decide yourself how much you want it to rise.)



TA DA!  Slather butter and your pear jam on a slice for the perfect fall treat!  (OK, anytime treat!)


 Don't miss out on Selina's home decor tips and inspirations - Sign up to receive her once a week post :-)

Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner


12 comments:

  1. This bread and apple pear butter is so yummy I was blessed by Selina when she gave me some and we are loving here in our home. We will definately be making this yummy bread and the butter in our home; what a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy, I think I am going to make bread tomorrow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this recipe, I make this recipe, but my bread does not look as good as yours. Great pictures, Selina! Don't think I didn't notice Miss K in there. Does Matt know you are plastering his children on the net? Heehee. I think you have a bigger mixer than me. Is there a reason you use the paddle instead of the dough hook? I always use the hook. Maybe that's my problem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BTW, they posted an article about you on the American Clay facebook page! It was exciting, and weird, to see a picture of my house on there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been making bread for awhile and my bread never, ever rises well (ok, one time I made beautiful bread but it was a fluke). Got any tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i had the same prob till i began using a candy thermometer to check liquid temp you should have success! Good Luck!

      Delete
  6. Okay, so I saw this recipe while visiting a Linky party and had to try it. It is amazing! Super moist, very favorful and great to eat on a cold winter day. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm always looking for new bread recipes to try and this one looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm, thanks for the recipe - it looks fantastic! I'd love for you to submit this to the M&T Spotlight: http://www.makeandtakes.com/spotlight

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds delicious. Don't forget to join me Monday for the PARTY!

    http://diyhshp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just made it - absolutely DELICIOUS and best homemade bread I've ever had! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. O my! this looks delicious! I love making homemade bread and working with yeast, so I will save this recipe to try! Thanks so much for sharing! I'm visiting from Southern Hospitality and would love to have you stop by Brown Sugar Toast when you get a chance! Thanks again for the yummy recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! I read them ALL and appreciate them. If you are asking a question be sure and leave your email, it will help me be able to contact you if you need a response. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...