Treasure Tuesday - The UGLY box reveal.

Remember my post about spray paint and how I told you I had a plan for a very sad and homely looking box? 

Well I was very inspired by a wonderful blogger with this post below so I can't take credit for this project myself.    



Sticks and Stones Home Decor has made old breadboxes look good again!  Here is what she did:

 
I got this idea from a crafty friend and I have made several of them. The bread boxes are easy to find at thrift stores and the DI.  They usually run between $3.00 and $5.00. 

How to:

1.  I bring them home and wash the cobwebs out of them. 
2.   Prime them and paint them.  I use spray paint. Walmart  has primer and paint for a dollar a can. Yahooy!
3. Sometimes I distress them with a little sandpaper around the edges. 
4.  I sometimes stain or glaze over them.  (I just use what ever I have on hand.  Just brush it on wipe it off) The bread boxes usually have dings and scratches in them.  When you distress them it looks like those dings were on purpose. 
5.  Add vinyl lettering. 

They are super easy and super cheap.

before

The uglier they are the cheaper they are.

Here are some other uses we have come up with for these bread boxes.

1.  Drill a hole in the back to thread your cell phone charger through.  Put c-hooks inside for keys, set on a shelf near  the door you use the most. (I love to have a hidden place for clutter.) Instead of putting the word "bread" on it you could put "stuff" or "simplify".
2.  My daughter came up with this one.  Some of the bread boxes have a magnetic closure.  Her idea was to hang it upside down underneath your kitchen cabinet next to the phone.  Put pens, note pad etc. for a little message center.  Brilliant!
3.  If your bread box is big enough you could hide your can opener or toaster inside.  Again, just drill a hole in the back to thread the cord through.
4.  Giant recipe box
5.  Bill/mail organizer
6.  Desk organizer

So here is my loverly box.

And sadly, I'm horrible with power tools and almost killed myself. So this is what my box ended up like.



I tried to drill holes in the back so I could use this as a phone charger hider. (Good idea - right!) Ya, didn't work so well.  I am sure I used the wrong type of drill bit.  Next time I'll be sure and ask my husband for help.  :-)  Just follow the advice from Sticks and Stones Home Decor and I'm sure YOUR bread box makeover will be a success. Now I can just sit and read a book, I didn't want to work on a breadbox project anyway. LOL!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Selina!

    Love your blog!!! I have a table and a cabinet I wish you'd make beautiful.

    I love the cell phone charger idea - I have been eying one from Pottery Barn and it's $80. Definitely not cheap.

    Big Hugs!
    Amy
    Simply Sugar & Gluten-Free

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made me laugh -- I needed to laugh tonight! Anyway, I'm in the same category with some of these tools. I stick with my sewing machine, paint, you know the easier things. I found you today from Amy's blog and her eggnog recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOLOLOL I love bread boxes, and I love this post. Too funny!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HA! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who does this with power tools! Good idea though...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found your blog through Shabby Chic Cottage! Love the bread box idea! Look forward to following!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never understood the reason for a bread box. Bread will spoil. They are better put in the fridge. But anyway, today they are great for re purposing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! I read them ALL and appreciate them. If you are asking a question be sure and leave your email, it will help me be able to contact you if you need a response. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...