To Die For Chicken Noodle Soup



Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup


This recipe is an absolute favorite of mine and my husband.   It is SOOOOO good! (due to a secret ingredient) :-)  So bear with me, I promise to give you the recipe but let me ramble a little (and from what the experts say, a “good” blog never rambles…..oh well)

Anyway, 3rd grade 4H Home Ec class, I learned how to make and roll out my own egg noodles. I remember the hardest part was getting my little 9 year old arms to get that dough thin enough, and it is STILL the hardest part of this recipe and no, I’m not telling you how old I am now.  :-)

I always buy those rotisserie chickens at Costco and slice off the good chicken breast and leave all the other pieces on the carcass.  I really don’t like to waste food so I always make this soup with the left over chicken.
Unfortunately I don’t really have a written recipe, but I’m just going to tell you what I do and than you can elaborate with your own ideas at home.

EGG NOODLES: (do this first, double for a large crowd!)

1 cup flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg
2 Tbsp. milk

Mix flour and salt in a large bowl.  Make an indent on top of the pile of flour.  In the indent put the egg and milk. Start stirring where the egg and milk is than continue to mix it all together.  The last part of the blending I do by kneading it with my hands.  Flour surface of counter and roll out to around 1/8th inch.  Once rolled out sprinkle with flour and loosely roll up.  Without a lot of pressure cut out 1/4 – 1/2 inch strips.  Unravel and place on a rack or on the bowl to dry.  These should dry for at least 2 hours, but they can dry all day too. (in fact you could do this part a day ahead of time and store in an air tight container) 

These home made noodles really make this dish spectacular and aren’t hard to make, so don’t go buying the pre-packaged noodles on me now!

chicken noodle soup 001 copy
chicken noodle soup 002
chicken noodle soup 003
chicken noodle soup 005


CHICKEN SOUP:

Place left over chicken carcass in a pot of water (fill almost up to the top of the chicken)  Bring to a boil than let simmer for 1-2 hours.  You just want the meat to fall off the bone.  Pull out the chicken but keep the broth. 

Separate the chicken off the bones and shred into pieces.

Take out around 3 cups of broth and put it in the blender along with one package (8oz) cream cheese.  THE SECRET INGREDIENT!  Blend up and place it back in the pot.

Add cut celery, onions, carrots, and potatoes.  You could add some minced garlic, salt and pepper too.  Let simmer till veggies are tender.  (another hour?)

Add shredded chicken back into the pot and start back up to a boil.  Add your dried egg noodles to the boiling pot along with a cup of frozen green peas.  Boil for 10 minutes.

It’s ready to eat!!!!  I’d say it serves 4-6 people but really you can make this as big or small as you’d like.  Just add more water or more veggies to make it for a larger crowd.  Of course if you are making a bigger pot don’t forget to add another pack of the secret ingredient Cream Cheese!  I am really excited for you to try this - I think you’ll just love the creamy taste. 


chicken noodle soup 006 copy

       I didn’t have any green peas to add, but when you add them it really gives this soup some color.


ENJOY!!!!  Leave a comment when you make this!

~ Creative Juices Decor~

7 comments:

  1. This looks sooooo good. *looks at clock* Is it lunch time yet? I've never made my own pasta, but it doesn't sound difficult. I think I'm going to give this one a try. Any idea how long you can store homemade dry pasta? Thanks! (p.s. I have the same giant white mixing bowl. LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laurelei - thanks for all your other comments too! As for the pasta, the research I have looked into says that if it is TRULY dry (brittle when snapped in 2) you can store it in an air tight container for months. (ok, one site said a year but I just wouldn't do that!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a good cook (just adding things into a pot and call it dinner). I am more of a follow the recipe kind of cooker. How much of potatoes, carrots, celery, onions did you throw into the pot? Can't wait to eat this tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a big fan of chicken noodle soup, but this recipe actually has me wanting to eat it!

    I may have to give it a try the next rainy weekend we have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh....my....good....ness!!!

    The noodles part reminds me of what my Granny used to make - she always called it Chicken and Pastry however it was just the Chicken, stock and the noodles/pastry strips. I never could make it b/c they wanted to stick to the counter. I'll have to follow these direx.

    The cream cheese bit sounds delish too. Mmmm!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This recipe looks delicious! I have never made homemade noodles. Thank your for the inspiration. I think I will try some this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks sooo good! I'm gonna try it! Thanks for sharing the recipe at Anything Related!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! I read them ALL and appreciate them. If you are asking a question be sure and leave your email, it will help me be able to contact you if you need a response. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...