Crockpot Apple Spice Sausage Casserole

As you know I have lots of posts on crockpot recipes.I LOVE using my crockpot.  I use it for anything from entrees, jams to desserts.  Yep, we are Best Friends Forever.



autumn saussage cassorole



This recipe is a tried and true yummy recipe that I have even made for company.  Kids seem to really enjoy it also.  It has a slightly sweet taste which tastes wonderful with the rice and sausage.  It calls for raisins but I don’t like raisins so I eliminate it.  I found this off of A Year of Slow cooking.  Stephanie’s blog is fantastic – she’ll even till you when her recipes turned out horrible!  Don’t worry, I’m only posting my absolute favorites!  So start up your crockpot for an easy dinner tonight!

INGREDIENTS

--1 pound sausage (I used a chicken sausage)

--1 large, or 2 small apples, chopped (no need to peel)

--1 yellow onion, chopped (I used a sweet onion)

--1/2 cup chopped carrots

--3 cups already cooked long-grain rice

--1/2 cup raisins (I skipped them)

--1 T dried parsley flakes

--1 T brown sugar

--1/2 tsp allspice

--1/2 tsp cinnamon

--1/4 tsp black pepper (start with 1/8 if your kids don't tolerate a touch of spice)

--1/3 cup chicken broth or water (I used broth)

The Directions.
The amount of ingredients fit nicely in a 4 quart crockpot. I'd say this comfortably feeds a family of 4-5 with a bit of leftovers. If you have a large family or teenagers, add more rice and sausage. It's a pretty easy recipe to adapt to your needs.
If you are going to use uncooked pork sausage, I'd recommend browning on the stove top, and draining before adding to the crockpot.



Otherwise, dump all the ingredients into the crock, and stir well.
Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours, or on high for 3-4. You're really only heating through, and allowing the vegetables to soften.

autumn saussage cassorole

ENJOY!  Creative Juices Décor

3 comments:

  1. This sounds yummy! I've come to the conclusion that my crockpot is just too big for most recipes. Everything I try to cook in it burns to a crisp, even on low. I'm scouting for a smaller one at thrift stores so I can start trying these amazing recipes. i'm jealous of you people with crockpot success!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am IN LOVE with my crockpot. I use it more often than I care to admit. Stephanie's blog is my go-to for crockpot recipes too! We generally eat vegetarian, but John bought some sausage the other day so I may give this recipe I try...plus I have leftover rice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummmy!!Thanks for my next cooking recipe.. I have 3crockpots of which i've used NONE to date.. lol.. This looks wonderful.. LOVE YOUR BLOG!!happily Following -- hope you can stop by & check out my home at http://theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com/:)) Marilyn

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! I read them ALL and appreciate them. If you are asking a question be sure and leave your email, it will help me be able to contact you if you need a response. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...