Homemade Chicken Enchiladas

When we lived in San Diego we had some wonderful friends that loved cooking authentic Mexican food.  We always had fun when we came over for dinner, they taught me how to make this meal.  Since it is my husbands favorite (I know, I am always saying that) I decided it would be a great one to put on here.

blog enchilada

Begin by making your own homemade enchilada sauce.  I promise it’s easy and it tastes SO much better than canned sauce, plus you can really make the flavor and spiciness just how you want it. 

tomatillosblender


Basic Green Enchilada Sauce

1.) jalapeno or serrano peppers 
(or a mix of each, if I use jalapenos I would add 1 for mild and 6 for spicy.)

2.) tomatillos
(these are so good and grow like weeds in my garden, for one batch of sauce I would boil around 8 medium tomatillos)

Boil peppers and tomatillos around 5 minutes. (till tender)

Put in blender and puree:

3.) add garlic and salt to taste.

(you can add red boiled tomatoes/onion if you want also)

003
 
Chicken Enchiladas

Pour a little of the enchilada sauce into the bottom of a casserole pan. Pour the rest of the sauce into a wide brim bowl.  Take a smaller size corn tortilla and dip it into the sauce and put some shredded chicken, diced onions, and shredded cheese in it.  Roll it up and continue till the pan is full.  Pour remaining sauce over the top and add about 1 1/2 cups of shredded cheese on top. 
 
Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 25 minutes.  Take off the foil for the last 5 minutes.
Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro, salsa and guacamole!  Enjoy!! 

 
blog enchilada
 
Tips:

Warm a batch of the tortillas wrapped in a paper towel in the microwave to get them pliable, around 45 – 90 seconds
If you wait till the boiled vegetables cool slightly before blending it is easier.
Double the recipe, this recipe freezes great!
 
~ Creative Juices Decor~

No comments:

Thank you for your comments! I read them ALL and appreciate them. If you are asking a question be sure and leave your email, it will help me be able to contact you if you need a response. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...