What’s Hard About Building A House?

Hey Friends!!

For anyone who has built a house, you know that making all the interior choices can be incredibly intimidating and this is coming from a gal who has a degree in interior design!!

I suppose if I didn't have a budget it might be easier, but well.......it's the RARE case to not have a budget!

The mindset I have acquired is: how can I do this correctly and stay within budget?  

I want classic choices that will last forever and for me, I want to be careful not to just follow a fun trend that is going on!

For instance, do I love the painted white/cream cabinet trend right now? SURE!  But I worry a bit that it might not LAST and I really want to do something timeless. 


So, when I think of “timeless” I think of a rustic, old world style with nothing new or shiny looking.  I don’t mind adding a few more eclectic, transitional splashes but overall, I’m looking for a very classic design.  I guess I would call it “Old World European with a twist of "let's get real”! (Mostly because I can't afford TRUE European style throughout!)

Want to know what has been the hardest choice so far???

COUNTER TOPS! 


My last house I designed, I choose concrete counter tops…….it was very cool but I LOVE the look of natural stone (granite). It can have so much texture and interest.


I finally found a granite that felt right……(of course, it was slightly over my budget, but some things might just be worth the little extra)

It’s a HONED granite, a granite that doesn't have that super polished and shiny look!  It has a matte satin finish.  I guess in Europe, they haven’t used that high polished granite for ages, this is what they use now.



EDIT: You can read up on my post about Honed Granite that is completed in my kitchen (I LOVE IT!!)




My wood floor is a med/dark brown that is refurbished old wood with lots of pivots, knots and a hand scraped top. The name of what I bought was Shangri-La 32082 06 Antique Elm Chestnut.
 

That was an easy pick.

The cabinets?  I think I’ll go with a dark Ginger (or Brazilian) finish (still thinking about this) and pick up the knot color of the wood.  I think contrast is the way to go on home interiors.


Edit: I ended up going with Brazilian Finish on Knotty Alder Huntwood Cabinets!


So far I think I’m figuring things out……a little stressful but still fun.  I can’t wait to see the choices actually materialize IN my full house tour here!

EDIT!  Here is my home COMPLETED!  You can see the full house tour here :-)  


Kitchen - see one of my most popular posts "How to Decorate the Top of Your Cabinets"


Also if you have ever wondered what the TOP design secrets are to make your home look like a magazine you will love this post!



If you just started the building or remodeling process ENJOY it and have some fun! (and follow along to get more tips and tricks! :-)  If you are local, give me a call and we will work together on making your dream home a reality!


 Don't miss out on Selina's home decor tips and inspirations - Sign up to receive her once a week post :-)

Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner


1 comment:

Thank you for your comments! I read them ALL and appreciate them. If you are asking a question be sure and leave your email, it will help me be able to contact you if you need a response. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...