Healthy Holiday Eggnog

Nothing says the holidays better than EGGNOG for me!  I LOVE the taste but I don't really enjoy reading the back of all the eggnog containers seeing all kinds of sugars (high fructose corn syrup etc) and words I can't pronounce.  Why is it so hard to produce a healthy store bought eggnog??  It's all OK though because I found a great solution!!!

eggnog blog


I asked my friend Amy from Simply Sugar and Gluten Free to “show me how it’s done”!  She created the BEST eggnog recipe for me without the sugar or preservatives.  You won’t believe it, homemade eggnog is SIMPLE to make and my kids LOVE it! 

eggnog-collage

Healthy (or at least healthier!) Eggnog

4 large egg yolks
1 tablespoon agave nectar
3 1/2 cups low-fat milk
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon liquid stevia plus 15 – 20 drops to taste
3 whole cloves
1/2 cup half & half

Whisk together egg yolks and agave in a heavy bottom medium sized sauce pan.  Slowly whisk in milk, then add in cinnamon, nutmeg, stevia, and cloves.  Heat over medium low for 10 – 15 minutes, whisking constantly, until mixture thickens and will coat the back of a spoon.  If using an instant read thermometer, it should reach 165°F.  Remove from heat, transfer to a bowl or pitcher and whisk in heavy cream.  Refrigerate for 4 hours or, preferably, overnight.  Remove cloves before serving and sprinkle with cinnamon if desired. 

Will keep for 5 – 6 days in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
 
Only makes 4 1/2 cups so if you are having a party double the recipe!  Or you can add more milk for an eggnog that isn’t super thick.  It is seriously delicious! 

 
eggnog 2

Don't forget to try out iherb for your health food purchases - they have great prices.  Enter code ESE794 for 5.00 off!

ENJOY!!!  Creative Juices Décor!

6 comments:

  1. So easy, so yummy! And so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your pics!! So cute!

    Merry Christmas, my friend!

    Big hugs,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am an eggnog lover, the real thing. I do not like "lite" store bought eggnog, it's thin & doesn't taste like eggnog. Does this really taste like eggnog??? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think you'll really like it. I don't like the light very much either......

      Delete
    2. Check out the simply sugar and gluten free link of the creator of the recipe....I bet she has more comments and reviews on her egg nog (: hope you try it and like it!

      Delete
  4. I am an eggnog lover, the real thing. I do not like "lite" store bought eggnog, it's thin & doesn't taste like eggnog. Does this really taste like eggnog??? Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! I read them ALL and appreciate them. If you are asking a question be sure and leave your email, it will help me be able to contact you if you need a response. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...