How to Make a Bedroom Feel Bigger - Unique Application of American Clay

As all of you know, I LOVE American Clay.  


I also know that not everyone can afford an entire room dedicated to the product.  One of the tricks I was taught at design school was optical illusions.  For instance, if you would like to make a small narrow room feel larger, paint just ONE narrow side a darker color.  (Not black, say just a darker taupe or even a separate color that accents the other three)


 You can manipulate the feel of a room by the colors and shades you choose.  I love using this technique in bedrooms - not only can it make a room feel larger, it creates a focal point.  (and hey, it's not as expensive!)


With this project my client wanted to add an accent wall of clay behind her bed.  She asked for something fun with lots of character to add elegance but also liven up the place.  This was not a typical application of the clay but we had a lot of fun doing it.


Plain Old Boring Bedroom Wall........ (-: BEFORE


Unique and Vibrant Bedroom Wall......AFTER



As you can see, just the back wall was accented with the darker textured color.  It created a beautiful focal point and depth!




I achieved this look by putting on a base coat of Acacia in the American Clay product Loma.  Next I put on very random trowel markings in Amber Grain.


As you can tell by looking at all my American Clay posts I enjoy pushing the artistic envelope with the product.  I believe I pulled off what the client wanted and made this bedroom something special.


I did a very similar thing with my downstairs.  It was a LARGE open spot and needed some pizzazz and a spot of interest. (Ya think brick red would do the trick!) 


It also gave the room more dimension.  You can see the full basement makeover here.





If you would like to see a more step by step tutorial of how to apply American Clay just click the link.


Enjoy my friends!


5 comments:

  1. Beautiful work Selina appreciate this site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty! I love the concept of one wall accent with a different color and have that in my bedroom as well as my kids rooms. It makes such a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christina @ Floridays Mom1/15/13, 6:53 AM

    I have been having mixed feelings about my ascent wall in my living room which I've had for about 6 years. I still love it, but wasn't sure if ascent walls were still "in". This post came at the perfect time to let me know I've still got the right idea in trying to make my small living room seem bigger. Thanks Selina!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Christina! Some design tricks are tried and true - you don't have to worry about that one going out of style....just maybe the paint color choice :-)

      Enjoy your day and thanks for all your great comments.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful. I love it. So happy you shared!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! I read them ALL and appreciate them. If you are asking a question be sure and leave your email, it will help me be able to contact you if you need a response. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...