Decorating the top of your Kitchen Cabinets - a few Tips and Tricks


I have collected SO MUCH junk beautiful things from the thrift store, yes, I have topped off my cabinets FULL of thrift store treasures for pennies. 


The funny thing is I have so much collected things left over that I am not using that I told myself I am BANNED from any more thrift store shopping. 


BANNED, GROUNDED, NEVER TO GO AGAIN, OUTLAWED, ILLEGALIZED,

Until next week when I see that 50% off sign…….. I might decide it’s OK again.

Ok back to the top of the cabinets!

BEFORE:


blog rustic tuscan kitchen applience garage


And the AFTER:


 blog rustic tuscan fireplace 008

blog rustic tuscan fireplace 006

blog rustic tuscan fireplace 010

Remember this old post on making your own DIY Monogram Plates (without any fancy gadget?)  Check it out if you haven’t read it yet Smile  I love it that you can take old plates or pictures and turn it into hanging art.

blog rustic tuscan fireplace 014


Top of the China Hutch:


blog top of china hutch decorating idea
 Be sure to check out the  Pottery Barn Knockoff clock tutorial pictured above :-)


Here are a few tips when it comes to decorating tops of cabinets or even tops of decorative tables.



1.) Do lots of layering, especially with the heights.  PAIR up items, rarely would I leave a single decor item by itself.  Either use 2 or 3 pieces and be sure each one is a different height. Don't equally space each decor item by themselves.

2.) Think about how your eye would travel, you want your eye to do a circle…..it’s interesting how decorating is just like taking a good picture, if you can take a good picture I promise you can decorate well too! 

3.) Greenery  adds so much, it softens the edges…….keep your eye out at thrift stores or use that 40% off Michael's coupon to buy yourself some greenery!  Add the greenery in spots that have a lot of hard texture around it so it can be softened up.

If you guys ever have any questions, you know I am HAPPY to help. 

Here is a post about my top 10 general decorating tips if you haven’t read that post either!!

Here is the FINAL photo of my completed kitchen:


If you would like to have a fun look at my HOUSE TOUR I'd love to see more of you.

I recently finished completely accessorizing my friends home using all the tips above - come see the before and afters!



  Come follow my Pinterest boards if you want!

Till Next Week My Friends!!!  Have a good one Smile

14 comments:

  1. Nicely done! Thank you for sharing. Visiting from French Country Cottage. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/07/make-it-pretty-monday-week-4.html Wishing you a grand weekend. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Stain on your kitchen cabinets, not to dark or light...I would like to know the name and manufacture of Stain used, and was it on Alder Wood?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cabinets are manufactured by Huntwood Cabinets and the stain is on knotty alder (good eye!) and the stain is called Brazilian. So far, I've lived with them for 8 months and I love them more every day (-: Let me know if I can be of any more help.

      Delete
  3. I love your blog and this post! Thank you for the great tips! Question. My cabinets are all at the same level and not much space (maybe 1 foot long) between ceiling and the top of cabinets. What are your advice on decorating those cabinets?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I would try LOW spreading greenery for sure......There might be a few longer and shorter accessories you could add.....It's trickier when there is not as much hight between ceiling and top of cabinets, but I'd still add a few things. If I run across a good example in a photo I'll send it your way :-)

      Delete
  4. I am so in love with everything on your blog! It has really inspired me to redo my home. I am in the same situation as the last person to post. All of my cabinets are the same level and I am having trouble putting all of my thrift store finds together. Should I space it out in clusters? I am not sure it will look ok all in a line? Any advise? Thanks. My email is mfraley87@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thanks!! Since your cabinets are the same level, try adding some "presumed" height by placing a few higher items closer to the edges.....then add some greenery next to that. Go on to the next section of cabinetry and do the same. You can make the DECOR on the top of your cabinets have all kinds of differnt heights (unless the space between the top of your cabinet and the ceiling are super close. So yes, space it out in clusters but add some "high" items along the edge, softened by greenery...... I hope that makes sense!

      Thanks for reading!!

      Delete
    2. Selina, just happened upon your blog since I was searching for some ideas for the top of my hutch. It would be easy to decorate, but it has a "hump" in the center.

      Liked what I saw and signed up to follow by e-mail.

      Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
    3. Thanks MaryJean for following along! My Mother in Law also has a hump on her china hutch.....we ended up using styrofoam under a few items to make it "balance" out. I actually even have some bowls I used under my items on my flat cabinets just to get some added height (being that there is the crown molding, some items got "lost" just being placed on top) Experiment with the styrofoam and see if you can get the items to stay upright.....it's definitely a lot trickier!

      Delete
  5. Hi. I love all the ideas your giving! I also love the chandelier by the hutch. Would you mind sharing the name and where you purchased it at? Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I purchased it at Costco (about 3 years ago).....it was under 80.00 :-) I don't see a name on it anywhere......wish I was more help! I do enjoy looking through wayfair.com to find great deals on chandiliers.....some of my absolute favororite in my house are from them and at a great price.

      Delete
  6. So pretty! Makes me wish I had more space on top of my cabinets... Here's what I'm doing with mine: http://thedahliahouse.wordpress.com/2013/11/10/home-decorating-woes-what-to-do-with-the-top-of-the-cabinets/

    ReplyDelete
  7. IGreat write up Selina. Thank you for the great tips! Question. My cabinets are all at the same level and not much space (maybe 1 foot long) between ceiling and the top of cabinets. What are your advice on decorating those cabinets?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the post Charlotte! With your same height,low ceiling situation I would probably recommend a longer 4-6' strand of nice ivy (Michaels craft store has this) Play around with 2-3 strands....you could get a few low and wide baskets and some squaty vases. You can still build up a little height with varying short things (: less is probably more in your situation though. Keep it fairly simple and not too cluttered. Hope it helps with the over cabinet decorating!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! I read them ALL and appreciate them. If you are asking a question be sure and leave your email, it will help me be able to contact you if you need a response. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...