GINGERBREAD playdough!



Just the thought of this makes me happy.  Memories of playing with play dough and the smell of Christmas all wrapped into one! (seriously - the play dough smells so good and spicy!!)




Mix dry ingredients.  

Next mix water and oil together than add to dry ingredients.  Put in sauce pan cook on medium 2-3 minutes. You can add a few drops of red and green food coloring in this if you want it to be an extra dark brown color.

Stir constantly till dough pulls away from sides. 


Today was messy hair day/princess dress up for my daughter!

Take out and knead - sprinkle cinnamon on the table to make it easier and get the right constancy.  

Store in closed container.

        *      Be sure and get your cinnamon cheap - I go to the dollar store.

        *      I split up the piles and added red glitter to one and gold to the other. 

        *     You could skip the cinnamon and replace it with more flour and add peppermint extract to make peppermint play dough! 

        *Put this in a zip lock bag with the top cut off cute christmas bag, tie on a ribbon and make that tag to give as a gift!




Unfortunately non of the above recipes is edible.  I heard you can do 1c peanut butter, 1 c dry powdered milk and 2-3 tbsp of honey for an edible play dough variation!  Why not throw in some cinnamon to that mixture too!


While I wasn't looking (I sware I put the food coloring far away from her) somehow my daughter managed to find the bottles and while I was typing up this post, proceded to pour it all over her play dough. . As mad as I was the crazy blogger sweet side of me came out and I thought well at least this will add some humor to the post! And BTW, it makes it a very DEEP brown with the additional food coloring!

Oh she knew she was in trouble!

A glittery gingerbread angel :-)

EASY as THAT!  Happy Holidays from Creative Juices Decor!


If you think you'll have fun with this craft - check out the Cinnamon Elmer's Glue ornaments I also love making!







17 comments:

  1. Heehee, fun! I wouldn't have thought to add spices to my play-doh, but I bet it does make it smell great. My kids *love* play-doh. Great job on the digi scrapping! That gnome on the recipe was funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun idea!

    Come enter to win a free paper bead necklace from Heart Strings for Orphans!

    http://gigglesglitzandglam.blogspot.com/2010/12/gifts-that-give-back-heart-strings.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun idea! And the pics of your daughter are too cute. They always know when they're doing something *naughty* don't they;).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to make these to give to my daughter's friends as gifts! Thank you for the wonderful idea! One of her friends is giving her a hand made tie dyed tshirt and I was wondering what we could possibly make that would be an "equal" gift. This is it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So clever! I love how you used it as a gift tag. I am so going to steal this idea and do it next year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun!! :)

    Oh....and my hands look like that most of the time too. Except I like to play in paint and aging mediums and distressing ink. Red and green is much cheerier looking. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. BTW, I'm so glad you stopped by my blog today!! I'm now a follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We featured you over at Sassy Sites for our kid craft party! Come by and check it out!! Have a very Merry Christmas!

    http://sassysites.blogspot.com/2010/12/more-christmas-crafts-for-kids.html

    xoxo Marni

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tasty & fun! I've featured this today, so be sure to grab a featured on button. Thanks for linking to Craftastic Monday:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I'm having a messsy hair princess kind of day too! Thanks for sharing this recipe! Please visit me at http://funwithnancy.blogspot.com
    I'd love to have you follow back.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now that is clever. We make playdough all the time but I've never thought to add spices. My kids are gonna love adding them- 1/2 cup even!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You don't say whether or not you bake the ornament or do they harden if left overnight or if after they make their ornaments they destroy and make new ones or what???? Does the dough need to be keep in baggies or will it eventually just dry out and you throw it away? But it does sound like fun that I would love to try with my Grand and Greatgrandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Actually, you are probably wanting to make the cinnamon ornaments/tags which is this post: (just copy and paste into your browser)

      http://www.creativejuicesdecor.com/2010/12/cinnamon-elmers-glue-ornaments.html

      That is for the "clay" that air dries and makes those tags you see. What I have on this post is just the playdough that you can play with and yes, when you are not using the clay, keep it in a baggie. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  13. great idea for gifts!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Made this and we all had a BLAST enjoy the delicious smell and beautiful texture!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What colors/how much food coloring do you use? I must have missed that! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Adding about 2-3 drops of both red and green will make a really deep brown color. Even without any food coloring, the cinnamon in it will make it light brown. I'll write that in the post somewhere....good question :-) Have fun!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! I read them ALL and appreciate them. If you are asking a question be sure and leave your email, it will help me be able to contact you if you need a response. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...