5 Incredibly Simple & Inexpensive Ways to Update Your Home
Here are five of my favorite ways that I have recently applied to my own home that I want to share with you all. We did end up doing new flooring, but even if we had just hit these top five examples, it would have made a big difference.
1. Change Your Old Hardware
One of the easiest updates you can make is replacing outdated cabinet and furniture hardware. New pulls or knobs can completely change the personality of a piece without replacing the piece itself.
For example, swapping traditional or dated hardware for simple, streamlined more modern elongated handles can instantly make a cabinet feel more modern. It’s a small change, but one you’ll notice every time you walk into the room. I did the upgrade myself. Just buy a drill template off Amazon and you are good to go! Easy peasy.
My own home! And I am in love with the update! I did this to the living room cabinets also. I research for quite a while before I found these. They were such a great buy!
2. Lighten Up Your Drapery
Heavy, dated drapes can make a room feel dark and closed in. Consider replacing them with a lighter, airier drapery style in a soft neutral fabric.
And here’s one of my favorite designer tricks: move your curtain rod as high as you can. Hanging your curtains closer to the ceiling draws the eye upward and can make your windows—and your entire room—feel taller.
My own home updated example! (yes, I lightened the furniture up too) You can always check out my review videos.
3. Replace Outdated Light Fixtures
Lighting is one of those things we tend to overlook, but an old fixture can instantly make a room feel dated.
You don’t have to replace every light in your home. Start with the fixtures that are most visible, such as a dining room chandelier, entryway light, or kitchen pendant. Choose something simple and timeless that works with the style of your home.
My updated home entryway! I did end up changing almost all of my lights in my house and I cannot tell you how much it changed the vibe for under $1,000..... that incredible wagon Chandelier when I bought it was around $100. I'm telling you if you do your research or you just follow me and I'll do the research (review videos) 😊 you can get amazing deals that will change the entire look of your home for not a lot of money!
4. Invest in One Piece of Art You Really Love
Instead of filling your walls with lots of small pieces, consider saving up for one larger piece of art that makes a statement.
A beautiful, substantial piece can give a room a focal point and make the entire space feel more intentional. I also love simplifying walls by removing small, cluttered collections and excess family photos. Keep a few meaningful photographs, but give them enough space to breathe.
This is my own home mood board. I splurged on this piece of art. (I spent a lot more on a framed version. The one below is unframed but beautiful! Just not as expensive) absolutely love how it tied everything together.
5. Replace Dated Faux Greenery
Faux greenery has come a long way, but some of those old faux palm trees and cabbage-style plants can quickly make a room feel dated.
Try replacing them with lighter, airier options such as faux olive trees, delicate branches, or grassy tabletop plants. The goal is to bring in greenery that feels natural, simple, and fresh rather than heavy and overly artificial.
Once again, this is my own personal home before and after. 🙂

