The Biggest Decorating Mistake That Makes Your Home Look Cheap
Have you ever walked into a room and felt like something was off, even though it had beautiful furniture?
As an interior designer, I see the same decorating mistake over and over. Surprisingly, it has nothing to do with your budget.
The biggest mistake is decorating one piece at a time instead of designing the room as a whole.
When every item is purchased separately without a plan (or an inspirational mood board!) a room can feel disconnected. The good news? It's one of the easiest problems to fix. The links are my affiliate links and I may make a small commission but at no extra cost to you :-)
Start with an Anchor Piece
Every beautiful room begins with one feature that sets the tone—usually a rug, sofa, an art piece you LOVE or a statement light fixture. I did fall in love with the sofa first, but the art piece was what gave me inspiration for the entire room.
I do practice what I preach! This is my OWN home living room mood board.
Hang your Curtains High
Not Changing out Your Aged Pendant Lights
This one is HUGE! Buying new hanging lights will update your home like nothing else. It's amazing how much it ages a home and makes it look cheap. New lights are not very expensive and it's quick for an electrician to switch out lights.
Below are some of my favorite lights that create a high-end look without a high-end price tag. I bought #8 for my own home! I LOOOOVE it!
1. Drum Shade
(goes with all styles!)
2. Modern Cone
4. Seeded Glass
6. Capriz Shell (textured)
7. Iron Frame
(I own #8 ! LOOOVE IT)
10. Sculptural
Use Fewer, Bigger Accessories
Tiny décor scattered everywhere creates visual clutter.
Choose a few larger accessories that make a statement instead of filling every shelf.
Designer Picks: Oversized Ceramic Vase
Don't Forget Texture
Texture is what gives a room its cozy, expensive feel.
Mix linen, wood, woven baskets, velvet, ceramics, and greenery to add depth without adding clutter.
An example would be a nice textured blanket (or cow hide rug!) thrown across the edge of the sofa or chair. Prop layers of mirrors or frames against a wall, overlapping them slightly. Stacking books with a cool shaped vase on an end table or console table is great, see, now we’ve created dimension and layers!
My Designer Secret
Whenever a room feels like it's missing something, I rarely buy another piece of furniture. Instead, I layer in better lighting, richer textures, and thoughtfully chosen accessories. (Click link to get the FULL gift guide!) Those simple changes almost always bring the room together to have that designer/magazine look!
Click on the image to be taken to the product! #4 is so much fun and I own #7










