Treasure Tuesday - Toy Chest

Is there anyone that can pass up on extra storage? Not me.  If I ever see anything, a large basket, an organizer, or anything that can be used as storage I won't pass it up.

Best case scenario is when I can find those kind of pieces from the thrift store for a few bucks or other second hand avenues.  I got this wicker chest for 10.00 (off Craigslist). It was originally from Pier One (he said 150 bucks?) maybe it was because the thing was quite heavy duty.  Of course this couple stored it outside so it had seen better days.  But with a little help from Walmart (cheap spray paint!!!)  I fixed it right up to become my new favorite.

                            You need an up close because this thing was pretty ugly

Now you can see the weathered condition!  But no worries, next I spray painted grey primer on the edges and top. (You could do the entire object but I just skimped.)


I finally realized that Walmart sells spray paint/primer for about half of the local hardware store so I bought a nice brown and green and sprayed away!

I liked the green but thought it might look a little better if I glazed over it with an espresso glaze.  (just mix your standard acrylic paint with a clear glaze - about 1:4 ratio.  A little glaze goes a LONG way.

 Here is the chest with the glaze and the rope detail painted brown.

   

                  And now for the fun part, here is the before picture:


           And the AFTERS!


The pillow is from the couch but I wanted to show you how nice it looked with the colors.

And the best part is all the downstairs toys have a place to hide.  The entire project cost me around $20.00.  Happy days!

Any one want to share an organizational tip?  Or for those bloggers if you have a specific link to an article on your blog with some good tips on organization please leave a comment (with your URL) and give us a little heads up what it's about.

Thanks for looking!

12 comments:

  1. That really came out great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it, such an improvement and the colours are fab!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really cool!! I like those colors! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE THE WAY THE TRUNK TURNED OUT. I DID A WICKER CHEST ALSO..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need one of these in my house, love yours! Can I have it? Just kidding! Have a great night!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! I have a basket very similar to that which I hate! I never thought of 2-toned painting. But it's official, that's what I'm going to do. Thanks for the inspiration!
    ~Mary
    www.thecraftygals.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been searching for one of these on the cheap for my living room... great find! Looks brand new now, awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how this turned out!! Awesome work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks great! I love the colors you chose to use.
    www.itsybitsypaperblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a clever, clever idea! I have an old giant wicker basket in distressed beachy colors (whitewashed blue) that doesn't match anything but I love it too much to get rid of it...I would've never thought of spray painting it. Think I'll pull it out of the closet and see if I can work some Selina magic. Thanks for the inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. love love love this!!! You did a fantastic job!! So clever & creative!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! I read them ALL and appreciate them. If you are asking a question be sure and leave your email, it will help me be able to contact you if you need a response. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...