The Big Reveal– 60’s Canvas Turned Textured Art

Remember this old friend?  Were you all wondering what in the world was I going to do with this huge old 1960's thrift store canvas?  (SO WAS I) Winking smile

thrit store lamps 025

Well after I made this pretty little girl, I had a TON of left over seashells so what better to use them on my huge canvas!!!

seashell

At first I just started laying them out on the canvas…..

015 copy

I was worried that I wouldn’t have enough seashells to cover the entire canvas (but alas, I had PLENTY) so I put a frame in the center that I picked up for $1.00. 


I liked the look but could NOT figure out what I wanted to do in the middle.   I thought about a monogram, maybe a moss covered letter? I also thought I could paint something just in that spot…..

A

 I couldn’t think what to do until I took the picture above and I thought huh, what about a mirror!  I LOVED all the texture that was going on so I thought, what if I did a MOSIAC mirror (that and the fact that I was never going to find a mirror in the sixe of 13”x16!!!!)


002

seashell mirror 001


Now that I had seashells and a glass mosaic I wanted the frame to go from a traditional brown wood to something more pearlescent or soft. I found the spray paint color by Krylon called Caramel Latte (the name sold me Winking smile) and loved it’s soft, slightly shiny latte color.  I also added some distressing by sanding the edge and adding some brown paint in spots.  Really I just fooled around with the trim until I got the look I wanted.


And the BIG REVEAL is……..


BEFORE: (sorry Mr. Kinkade, you just weren’t doing it for me anymore)

seashell mirror 006

AFTER!  Ah, looooove




Another angle:





What do you think?? Doing this piece was an adventure, I had no idea if it would turn out BIZARRE or great?


Cost Breakdown:
$20.00 canvas/frame piece
$1.00 smaller frame
$18.00 1” mirror tiles (I needed 208!!!!)
$3.50 Krylon paint
Free – leftover seashells
TOTAL – $42..50

Not too bad for a VERY large piece of art.  It was a fun (but tedious) project! 

To see more of my new house tour just click!


Was Featured on Little Birdie Secret and Infarrently Creative.  THANK YOU!


              Thanks for stopping by! Creative Juices Decor

 Don't miss out on Selina's home decor tips and inspirations - Sign up to receive her once a week post :-)

Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner


23 comments:

  1. That is fantastic, I especially love the mosaic mirror part of it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! that turned out gorgeous. I've never thought about buying art at the thrift store and doing something over it. You made me look at it in a whole new way.
    beautiful

    love the shell chandelier too
    its so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! It looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks stunning!! The shells are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love this! such a great idea and you know that it is a one of a kind piece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just another example of why you're one of the craziest and most creative people I know. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's dreamy! Love it. And thanks for sharing that paint color on the frame - how perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how this turned out! You are so amazingly creative. I would never have thought to do that and it just turned out so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea! Thanks so much for linking! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pinning this -- it is BRILLIANT!

    Jenny
    www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. That does look like fun and it made a difference in the room!

    http://nannykim-nannykim.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! I love how your light fixture and the mirror turned out. Simply amazing! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is so beautiful!! I love the capiz shells and the tiny mirrors. What a creative idea and the end result is really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it - what a major transformation and so pretty! Thanks for linking up at our party. Take care, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think it's beautiful and so amazingly original!

    Thanks so much for sharing at our spray paint link party!

    :)

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous! Love the textures, and it looks so calming in the bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is seriously some straight awesome sauce right there! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is just amazing - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow!! I love this so so so much. If I ever have a little girl I'll be making something like this for her room :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW what a transformation!! I never thought to paint over a thrift store canvas to make it a blank one! So clever...

    xox
    Bailey
    http://akabailey.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! I read them ALL and appreciate them. If you are asking a question be sure and leave your email, it will help me be able to contact you if you need a response. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...