Barn Wood Home Decor - Creative Juices Award


One thing I love about barn wood home decor is you can take any type of themed home and transform a room that was once blah, to a room FULL of character.  


Like always, I am amazed at the creativity of people around blogland but the one that takes the GOLD for my Creative Juices Award is Dana's pallet wood backsplash!  

Dana wanted to give her 1980's kitchen some character so she and her husband just cut up and washed some FREE pallet boards, added some stain and applied liquid nails (glue) to the back and put them up.  VOILA - an awesome backsplash full of character!


This photo below has been on my Pinterest account forever - I LOVE how creative the designer was using the old wood around an upholstered headboard.  It's awesome because it creates so much TEXTURE!!! Texture is KEY to creating interest my friends - KEY. 
(Remember my animal hide post?  Great texture = lovely rooms)



Well Kim from Too Much Time saw the same photo and decided to make her own version from worn out fence pieces someone gave her.

Here it is up close:


Isn't that amazing?!  I love how she added OLD with NEW.



I know not everyone has easy access to an old falling apart barn so there are ways you can still capitalize on the look without violating those no trespassing signs :-)

Cassity and Justin from Remodelaholic built this beautiful GLORIFIED baby gate (door) out of wood they bought at their local building store.  They will give you step by step directions if you want to make one for yourself.


As you know, I LOVE the look of old wood beams as my own home is filled with them.  Well, they aren't really old, just rough sawn and stained a deep espresso brown.  
When I move to Europe and live in a 200 year old estate I'll be sure that my beams are full of cobwebs and natural luster from years of living ;-)  




This was one of my clients homes that also used rough sawn beams and had then distressed. (They were even hand chiseled  to make appear really old.)  That was a working wood heated pizza oven  - the owner was Italian :-)



All the walls were done in American Clay Natural EarthPlaster




I love this photo below by Domestic Bliss.  Look how simply the whitewashed wood accentuates the green topiaries and neutral setting.  




What do you think?  

Are you ready to look for some weathered pallets or old fence posts?  Or maybe just buy your own wood at Lowes and attack it with a hammer and bike chain before adding a beautiful stain to it?  :-)  Whatever it may be, I hope you were inspired and got your own creative juices stirred!
creativejuicesdecor

5 comments:

  1. Hello Selina,
    Thank you for continuing to share such creative ways to make our homes warm and hospitable. Question: two of those fireplaces looked like you couldn't build a fire in them. What's with that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!

      Actually the fire places above (if you are referring to the project I did) are usable fireplaces. For the pizza oven they stacked specialty wood under the oven so they could easily pull it out and make a fire in the pizza oven space.

      Now a days, there are a lot of people who do not want to deal with the hassle of a real fire place. They might even have issues with their chimney and they don't want to spend the money to make it work correctly. So, they turn that space into a decorative space. You can see an example of that on this post.

      http://www.creativejuicesdecor.com/2012/12/what-can-you-do-with-birch-logs.html

      Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  2. I love these ideas! I love barn wood but it is harder to find. I found pallets are a great alternative... and Free:) I just made a bed for my son with them.
    http://robynsmyleshome.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful fireplaces. These are looking so much amazing. Fireplace are good in giving a good and rich look to your house. This is necessary to maintain them. I am thinking to rebuild my fireplace. I have seen some beautiful designs. Just have a look of my selected design.
    http://www.naglefireplaces.com/fireplaces/wood/baltimore

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love to see this post. Keep up the topic that everyone can choose one of the best. Thanks.
    Antiques

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! I read them ALL and appreciate them. If you are asking a question be sure and leave your email, it will help me be able to contact you if you need a response. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...