EASY Graham Cracker Recipe - Heathy and Sugar Free!

Has anyone ever looked on the back of a graham cracker box and read the ingredients?   It's pretty bad.  (hydrogenated oils, preservatives, processed sugar and lots of strange words!)

When I saw this recipe (given to me by NuNaturals Stevia) I thought I would give it a try.

The result?  GREAT!  




I should have rolled them out thinner (to more resemble a traditional graham cracker) but honestly, I would make these again.  It past the kid taste test too (Much more important than my taste test!)

Oh and did I mention the were EASY!!! (yep, my kind of recipe.)


Easy Healthier Graham Crackers (makes approx. 20 crackers)

Ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1/2 cup ground flax meal (can purchase in bulk section cheaply)
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp NuNaturals NuStevia Prebiotic Blend stevia
  • 1/2 cup melted coconut oil (with a dash of salt) or you can just use melted butter
  • 1/4 cup Agave syrup


Directions:


  • Mix dry ingredients in a bowl.
  • In a separate bowl mix the melted oil or butter and agave together.
  • Add the oil and agave mixture to the dry ingredients and stir.  
  • Spread the dough on the cookie sheet and roll out.  *
  • I cut the dough into squares and then poked holes on the top with a fork before baking.
  • Bake 8-10 min at 400 degrees.
  • When done, go ahead and re-cut the graham crackers and cool.  


*If you need to do a light dusting of flour to keep the roller from sticking that's fine.
I rolled my first batch out at 1/4+ inch but I would recommend even going for 1/8".

Before baking, I ran a knife through dough and dotted tops with fork.


Next time I'll make them thinner!


The longer they sit, the firmer they become (like original graham crackers) so enjoy them warm and soft or cool and crispy.  It was brought to my attention by a reader that yes, these still do have sugars in the cracker with the agave nectar.  If that bothers you, I encourage you to experiment with another type of sweetener.  So technically my point is that this has no processed white sugar in them.

Here's to staying healthy and ENJOY!!!!

Recipe links are to iherb - my personal favorite site to buy healthy products.  For details see my disclosure policy.

No comments:

Thank you for your comments! I read them ALL and appreciate them. If you are asking a question be sure and leave your email, it will help me be able to contact you if you need a response. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...