Wine bottles, spray paint and chalk–Oh my!


As I was meandering through Michaels craft store I stumbled upon a collection of red tagged clearance spray paint bottles.  One of them happened to be spray chalk paint.  I had never used chalk paint before but from what I can tell off BlogLand that stuff rocks!  So I came home and it sat in the garage forever figured out a fun craft using my bottle of $1.99 chalk paint.
 

On to the project…….I am going to show you how I turned leftover wine bottles and chalk paint into a fun gift idea! 

 
scrapbook-1-copy_thumb3


First drink some wine  Smile

1.) Prime the empty bottles

(if you are making bulk of these and you don’t have a lot of time to invest, you may just want to prime and paint the chalk area just over the natural wine glass.  That is a very pretty look too – you are just subject to the soft greens, amber or the clear color wine bottles come in. Remember, still prime the area that will have the chalk paint on it.)

scrapbook-8_thumb2

2.) Spray paint them your favorite color

scrapbook-7_thumb1



3.) Take painters tape and square off an area to spray on the chalk paint. (be sure and really press the tape on well so that the paint doesn’t bleed.)

scrapbook-6_thumb2


Spray the chalk paint on the bottles – be sure and cover areas that you do not want chalked!  It was easy just to wrap some plastic wrap or extra blue tape over the other areas.

scrapbook-5_thumb2


After 2-3 coats of chalk paint (let each coat dry for at least 30 min) take off the blue painters tape.  You can leave “as is” or decorate it with embellishments.

Write whatever saying you would like on it. 

Some ideas would be a gift for a teacher, bring it to class filled with a rose, or for an event dinner have the centerpiece include a decorated wine bottle with the table #.  What about a thank you gift or a place to display your favorite quote?  Wouldn’t it be so fun to bring this with flowers to the hospital with the newborn babies name chalked on it!  How personal is that! “Welcome Baby Kate!”

scrapbook-2_thumb3

scrapbook-3-copy_thumb2

Just get those Creative Juices going and have some fun!!


Want another fun craft to do with your children or grandkids?  Check out my post on making rock candy!




UPDATE:  I have to show you a picture a reader (and friend) sent in.....it looks as if she may have done this with beer bottles but isn't it pretty!

She made all her own flowers too.....Thanks Casey!

Linking up to Young House Love - they have a very similar project in their awesome new book! AND they are putting on the Spring Pinterest Challenge - wine bottle crafts are all over pinterest!!!  Enjoy!

28 comments:

  1. These are great. Love the bling you added to them!

    Go over the painters tape lightly with your paint color before using chalk board paint to help prevent bleeding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this project!... especially cause you get to drink :)
    Cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reply @ Mindy: That is a great idea! I've done that when I paint the walls in my house and it works perfectly. I'm sure it would help with the bleeding. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just laughed really hard becauseI was browsing the links on TDC linky party, and I thought "hey that looks interesting" and then it brought me to your blog. That just proves that I do not read your blog just because you are my friend.

    This is a great idea! And I feel encouraged to see you got the paint to stick to the glass like that. Maybe I can salvage those ugly lamps afterall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reply@Kira, That really is pretty funny. Phew, you aren't just commenting to be nice to me! About the metal lamps you are thinking about spraying.....be sure and spray them with an ETCHING primer first. (I just used regualr primer for these but for lamps use the Rustolium etching primer it reads "Etches and primes in one easy step, prepares bare metal, aluminum and fiberglass surfaces to promote maximum adhesion and smoothness of the top coat Formulated to stop rust and is an essential step to achieve a professionally finished look" There you have it my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. CUTE BOTTLES ... GREAT IDEA

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woo hoo! I haven't been saving wine bottles for nothing! I've been waiting for a post like this! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love them! I never remember to take the recycling out...maybe there is a reason:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. THese are too cute! I recently tried painting the inside of a wine bottle and id didn't work so well. I'll try the outside! Found you over at TDC spray paint party!
    Jen
    Scissors & Spatulas

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sheila Gruber5/19/11, 4:14 PM

    I am in the middle of making these to serve lemonade and peach tea out of at a party and it suddenly occurred to me...can you serve liquid out of them after you paint them? As in, is it safe? Never thought of that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Reply@Sheila:

    To be honest I'm not sure either! But I would think that you aren't spraying any of the inside (and I would be careful not to do that) that it wouldn't affect the inside. Maybe if you did it again I would tape off and cover the top 2" of the bottle so that you would be sure no paint was around the pouring area. Hope that helps a little!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sheila Gruber5/19/11, 6:53 PM

    Thanks! That's a good idea to do for next time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well aren't you one smart cookie...just love how cute these came out...can't wait to try it myself. I'm just as obsessed with chalk board paint as spray paint when to transforming surfaces. Following you from the Spray Paint party...have a wonderful week. Fondly, Roberta
    www.loveshackliving.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the tips on this project - I've been saving bottles for something and this is it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello I just found this blog while looking for ideas to decorate wine bottles to use to save for a trip to Hawaii; want to give one to each of my gfriends.
    I apologize up front but i'm not very crafty and i have a couple questions.
    1) how do you prime a bottle, is that something you buy or just a technique to clean label and bottle?
    2) are you using regular spray paint cans to paint the bottle? Then use the chalk paint to do the square?
    thanks so much, i love this idea. we can change the destination of trip each time we are saving for one of our girl trips. Any other comments or suggestions would be helpful for a "non crafty" person.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Reply@Jane:

    No problem answering these.....

    You can prime a bottle by buying a bottle of spray paint that is called "PRIMER". You can ask paint guy if you run into any questions about primer.

    You are right on with question #2. Spray paint with regular paint let dry then tape off the section and spray it with chalk paint.

    Hope it all turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  17. sorry to bother you again...but what did you do about the labels on the bottle....i'm hoping to start this project soon and just realized i should ask about the labels...if you took them off was there an easy way to get every piece?
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  18. Reply @ Jane: Hi! Actually, I just soaked the bottles in warm soapy water. I suppose goo gone would be helpful. I have heard that warming up labels with a hairdryer before taking them off works really well but I can't guarentee it, give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I LOVE THESE! Especially the jewels around the label. Now I wish I drank wine... maybe I can get a friend to save one for me.


    threeloudkids.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love these and I love that you change them out for almost anything. Thanks so much for linking up at our party. Take care, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love this. We drink wine at house. I have save bottles but never knew what to do with them. I might have to try this sometime'

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great idea! I am going to have to try this. Is there a certain primer you recommend using?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Faith!

      I just used a generic primer......sometimes it's worth the extra money to buy the expenive stuff but for this project, I just found the least expensive :-)

      Delete
  23. These are wonderful! Do you mind if we use your post as a sort of pattern to make some and sell them?
    Here's our website: http://birds-feather.blogspot.com
    And here's our email: birdsofafeather32@gmail.com

    Love your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds good to me :-) I got my inspiration from someone else who probably got it from someone else so......it's all good! Send me a picture!

      Delete
  24. Having seen your blogs, I really enjoyed going through them. home security systems

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! I read them ALL and appreciate them. If you are asking a question be sure and leave your email, it will help me be able to contact you if you need a response. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...