Homemade Coconut Milk and MORE

I finally just did it.  I had the recipe on how to make this for a long time.  Finally after staring at the can of coconut milk in the grocery store for $2.49 I thought, TODAY is the day I will make this at home.

blog coconut milk

Guess what……totally easy.  In fact, I’ll tell you what I did but once you understand the “how to” you really can’t do this wrong.  Just go for it!  You’ll be glad you did.

First off, in the BULK isle in most grocery stores they sell UNSWEETENED shredded coconut.  You’ll need that.  Smile

I experimented with three different ratios.  The largest water to coconut ratio would be for drinking and the smaller water to coconut ratio would be for cooking. 

blog coconut levels

          * Dump coconut FLAKES in your blender. 

           * Add hot filtered water. 

            * Pulse (high/low) in blender 20 times. 

             (optional: can let sit for 1 min than re-pulse 5 times)

            * Take out and pour in a cheesecloth. 

            * Strain out all “milk”. 

Repeat process with the leftover stained coconut in the cheesecloth to the consistency you want.  (SEE PICTURE ABOVE)

With my experiments, I found that pulsing the coconut verses just letting it sit on high for 1-2 minutes (which you can do) left this nice coconut oil/cream layer on top.  I liked it that way, I suppose it’s because I really like fat Smile 

thai coconut 008

For those who love visuals – here are a few more pictures.  I later just did it in a bowl instead of in a jar. (much easier!)

thai coconut 001thai coconut 002

It tasted great!  I can’t wait to show you guys a recipe I did using this milk.  It was a delicious.  (Hint: an EASY Thai dish…..oh, I’ll just attach a picture Smile )

blog coconut milkblog thai coconut curry

AND I can’t forget I made these MACAROONS with the left over coconut “pulp”.  Did I mention this was all in one day??  It was a crazy coconut cooking day. 

blog coconut macaroons copy

Have fun and all I can say is just go for it if you have ever thought about making your own coconut milk!

~ Creative Juices Decor~

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh Selina, you are AMAZING! I'm wondering if you have a sample I could try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made a mock whipped cream with the coconut cream. You need a good bit and the mixer bowl needs to be very cold. It's not quite as stiff as regular whipped cream but it's very yummy on berries, pie, cocoa, ....

    KK

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! I read them ALL and appreciate them. If you are asking a question be sure and leave your email, it will help me be able to contact you if you need a response. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...