BEST MUFFINS EVER! Basic Recipe

I'll be honest.

I don’t even like muffins.

Muffins are blah, cakey and weird.

SO…… I can’t call these muffins because these are the best little things I have EVER tasted!


These muffins have a coffee cake, slightly dense texture that melts in your mouth.  I had a pregnant woman come to visit and let’s just say, she couldn’t eat just one ;-)


blog best muffins ever


Since finding this recipe not so long ago, I have made it at least half a dozen times. (That is amazing for me!)  It is from a well known baking blog Aimee from SimpleBites

I changed it up a bit only to make it just a little healthier but you can always use whatever you like! (my suggestions are in parenthesis)

My husband thinks blueberry muffins are a MUST Christmas morning so pin this recipe for a special treat if your family thinks the same way as my husband!  You actually can make this ahead of time and freeze the batter (without add-ins) I did it once and it worked out great.  Just thaw overnight in the refrigerator and bake the muffins fresh in the morning.

Basic Tried and True Oatmeal Muffin Recipe


(milk mixture needs to sit one hour before you start!)


Makes 12 medium muffins
  • 1 cup milk*
  • 1 teaspoon white vinegar
  • 1 cup rolled oats (not quick oats)
  • 1 large egg, at room temperature
  • ¼ cup dark brown sugar (or coconut palm sugar)
  • ½ cup butter, melted and cooled slightly (or coconut oil)
  • 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp  flour (I use half whole wheat half white)
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly ground
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, freshly ground
  • add-ins of your choosing  - (my favorite is 1 c raspberries or blueberries with 3/4 cup white or milk chocolate chips.)

Combine milk, vinegar and oats in a large bowl and let stand one hour.

Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease a twelve-cup muffin tin and line with cupcake papers.

Crack the egg into the oat and milk mixture; add brown sugar and mix to combine. Stir in melted butter.

Sift remaining ingredients into the bowl: flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, & spices. Gently fold into batter, taking care not to over mix.

Sprinkle add-in and flavorings of your choice and combine muffin batter gently.

Use a measuring cup or ice cream scooper to scoop batter into muffin tins. Bake until light brown and tops spring back when gently touched, about 20 minutes if using fresh fruit.  Aimee says to bake it 10-12 but I have NEVER had it be that short. 

Enjoy and once you make these, leave me a comment if you agree these are the best muffins you have ever tasted!

*You may also substitute 1 cup buttermilk, and then omit the vinegar from the recipe.

Check out Aimee’s blog for a lot more tips and tricks on muffin making.  She really figured it out.  Aren’t blogs just great!  We can learn from the best of them.





 Don't miss out on Selina's home decor tips and inspirations - Sign up to receive her once a week post :-)

Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner


2 comments:

  1. They sound yummy--interesting with vinegar. My kids have their hearts set on Monkey bread for Christmas morning so that is what I'll be making.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh ya, I'm with your kids, Monkey Bread is SOOOOO good!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! I read them ALL and appreciate them. If you are asking a question be sure and leave your email, it will help me be able to contact you if you need a response. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...